[FEEDBACK] First IT book

A forum for questions about all aspects of self-publishing.
Forum rules
Please start your post with a tag, for example FORMATTING. ISBN, SPARK, CREATESPACE,COPYRIGHT, etc.
divix

[FEEDBACK] First IT book

Post by divix » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:43 pm

Hello fellow writers,

Can I ask you for any sort of feedback, before I run some marketing tools against it?
The book category is quite unusual for CreateSpace author (Internet Technology) but first chapters are quite self explanatory for regular readers too.
If you want I can send you some additional PDF file with more chapters in it.

The book is: "Zend Framework 3. Developer's Guide.", hope you will like some of it ;)
The link: https://www.amazon.com/Zend-Framework-3 ... 983514640/ (paperback & kindle)

Thank you in advance and happy Sunday,
Adam

Phoenix

Re: [FEEDBACK] First IT book

Post by Phoenix » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:46 pm

Hello Adam, and welcome to the forum. I had a look at your book. Thank-you for the link. Although I cannot attest to its accuracy, I can state the it is very professional in appearance, formatted well, at least, the 'Look Inside' feature displays well-formatted pages. The concept loses me completely in its technicalities, but that is because I am not a computer programmer. I would council you to ensure that you are within your rights to produce a manual for someone else's program/software? Are you entitled to copy any of their wordings or commands in your book, etc.
Any hint of plagiarism will see your book suppressed very quickly in CreateSpace.
I do think the blurb is a little long. It is meant to entice the reader to view the preview, then purchase your book. It needs to be no more than one or two paragraphs in my opinion. Overall, I think you have written a well-crafted book and I hope you do well with it. No mean feat to deliver a book of over 400 pages, so congrats.
I would not try to aim your marketing at anyone other than the target audience. Trying to convince readers with little to no programming experience to purchase your book, would be a waste of your time and money I feel. As a complete layman when it comes to the back end of computer software, I grew bored very quickly with the terminology etc. I use the free web builders available for my own websites, and while they may not appear totally professional, they serve their purpose for the average person like me.
I hope this helps,
Joe.

divix

Re: [FEEDBACK] First IT book

Post by divix » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:10 am

Hi Joe,

Thanks for your feedback, I really appreciate it. I'm sorry that you've lost a concept on the beginning, it seems like my book is even more technical that I initially thought.

The software which I have outlined is a BSD licensed tool, which allows me to use it at any commercial and non-commecrial cases. The only limit is to use their logos and saying that's it's "an official guide".

I am trying to target only IT related crowd, first via adwords then via newsletters and on the end via amazon marketing, I hope they will be productive. Thanks again for the practical review. ;)