[AMAZON / CREATESPACE] We have a problem and need help

A forum for questions about all aspects of self-publishing.
Forum rules
Please start your post with a tag, for example FORMATTING. ISBN, SPARK, CREATESPACE,COPYRIGHT, etc.
ShoshanahS

[AMAZON / CREATESPACE] We have a problem and need help

Post by ShoshanahS » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:44 am

Hi Everyone
I hope I have listed the title here correctly, if not, I apologize.

I'm trying to find a solution to a problem we are experiencing.

We have self-published a few books on CS. Have not yet had the funds for IS though this might be the answer to our problem.

Here is the issue. My husband is a rabbi, I hope no-one objects to that.
Some years ago he prepared summaries of the weekly Torah portion that he printed up together with fun exercises at a school he was teaching in. I filed these for him when we got married and loved what he had done. I begged him to turn it into a book. I did not think there would be a problem with this. Rabbis prepare summaries of the Torah portion a lot. They also prepare commentaries to help their students understand the many levels and depth to the Torah.

After watching me help my mother publish her first teen age novel, join me in co-authoring a kids book and then do the cover design of my book, my husband agreed and turned his work into a book. So far all sounds good. He obtained letters of approbation from 4 rabbis and soon after making the book available had an order for 10 copies from a Synagogue in SA and now another order for 10 Books.

Then he received a positive review on Amazon. So far sounds good. Except that now Amazon has suspended the book and is threatening to close our account. From what I understand in calling CS, they feel my husband is copying the Torah or mis-leading the public.They don't like the name "Parshah in Just 2 Minutes". Why is this a problem?

I don't understand what their problem is. There are other books up on Amazon about the weekly Parshah, so where have we gone wrong? If there were any problem with the book, the 4 rabbis would not have approved it or written a letter to support it.

My question is 1) How can we convince Amazon that there is no problem with my husband's book.
2) What are our options for self-publishing? Is Ingram Spark the answer?

Is there any hope with Amazon or best to pull our books and find another print on demand option.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Shoshanah

walton
Site Admin

Re: [AMAZON / CREATESPACE] We have a problem and need help

Post by walton » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:11 am

Glad to see you here!

If you were to look through the CS forum, you'll see that there have been maybe half a dozen complaints about books being "suppressed" by Amazon in the last week alone.

I have read several articles in the last year reporting on Amazon and copyright laws in Europe. Their response has been to accept all challenges, as right . . . you're guilty until you prove your innocence . . . and they appear to be doing this when files are reviewed and even randomly. I may be overstating this, but it seems that if I do not like your book, or you, or whatever, I could complain to Amazon that you have infringed on someone else's copyright, or that you do not hold the copyright (e.g. public domain) and Amazon will suppress your book until you prove you are the author and/or the copyright holder.

Did your register the book with a copyright office? Some countries do not have copyright registration. I didn't read this but you might check out https://copyrightindex.com/get-copyrigh ... on-Israel/ (You did move to Israel, didn't you? Or are you still in S.A.?) You can register work in the US if it is published here, and I think that would work using CS. So this would be one answer, proof of copyright registration.

Beyond that the general advice on the CS forum has been to write a polite letter asserting authorship and/or that you're the copyright holder. Unlike days gone by, this will take a few weeks, not a few days.

Keep up posted. Oh, and I hope you're well, and best wishes for good health, good solutions to problems, etc.
Walton

Bleeds , free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations forCreateSpace users. Typography free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary and type specimen pages. Free list of free PDF downloads.

ShoshanahS

Post by ShoshanahS » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:03 am

Hi Walton

Thanks for your reply. That's frightening to hear.

We don't know if it is a copyright issue or what the problem is. Regarding registering our copyright. We had many say we own the copyright just by having written it and were waiting for the financial means to register. Perhaps we have to go ahead anyway.

The last 2 years have been rough, but I guess it's time to find a way to register the book anyway.

To answer where we live, yes we are in Israel. My Mom was in SA at the time I met you but she moved to Israel too.

Thanks for asking and for your help and interest.

BTW, have received 3 SPAM messages in this group. What's the best way to respond to them?

Shoshanah

walton
Site Admin

Post by walton » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:16 pm

First, you own the copyright for the book at the moment of creation (it does sound a bit Biblical, doesn't it!). This is the point at which the book exists in tangible form: that is, when it is words on paper or in a digital file, not the idea of a book. Both tangible form and creation are terms in the copyright law here.

Neither the copyright notice nor registration are requirements for a valid copyright, at least here, and I would guess in Israel. Both notice and registration used to be requirements or the work drifted into public domain.

Registration is a way of setting a time and date for when a book, purporting to be your book, has the copyright registered by someone purporting to be you. I say it that way because, if you register the book there no objective evidence, only you filling out the forms and submitting them. If someone want to fight your copyright, claiming the book was his . . . and is willing to go to court (read $$$) . . . then you'd have to prove everything to the satisfaction of the court. But . . . registration is useful, arguably in just the situation you are in. Of course it's up to Amazon to accept your proof, but if you could say, "Here is the registration number," it might go a long way to helping.

Of course I'm making the assumption that copyright is the question.

You can file electronically here (again, I don't know about Israel).
Walton

Bleeds , free, 91 page guide to bleeds, margins, covers, and annotated CreateSpace guidelines. Prepress Glossary free, 79 page, fully illustrated prepress glossary with annotations forCreateSpace users. Typography free, 112 page illustrated guide to designing books, typography, with glossary and type specimen pages. Free list of free PDF downloads.

walton
Site Admin

Post by walton » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:09 pm

From a CreateSpace post:

Spoke to a CreateSpace rep yesterday on the phone and he told me "thousands" of titles have been accidentally suppressed, and CreateSpace is working to resolve the issue. This is obviously disappointing, but it explains why so many are having issues. You're not alone!
https://forums.createspace.com/en/commu ... 0&tstart=0

Perhaps???
Walton